Tuesday 31 July 2012

Before and After: 80s Stools

My lastest purchase is a set of 4 stools which have 1988 printed on the underside. They were filthy, had loose joints and horrible PVC seat covers.


My first job for these was to take the seats off and strip back the PVC to see what was underneath. Luckily there was a fantastic retro grey and brown fabric which I couldn't resist cleaning up and keeping.


The wood then needed to be cleaned. It had a particularly thick layer of dirt so I gave the surface a good scrub with the scourer side of a cleaning sponge, and cleaning with a slightly abrasive quality cleaner such as a cream cleaner.


I had to make sure I wiped the surface thoroughly with a cloth to remove all of the cream cleaner afterwards. Some of the joints in the wood were a bit loose so I applied wood glue in the gaps and tightened the joins using straps to hold in place during drying. If you try this at home make sure you wipe off excess glue before it dries using a damp cloth.


Once the glue was dry I then fed the wood with a wood feed called Liquid Gold (it is expensive but worth every penny - I'm sure you can find other brands out there). I applied this with a soft cloth liberally, let it dry and then buffed with a clean cloth.


The seats could then be screwed back on and the final results look fab.



xx


No comments:

Post a Comment