Monday 28 January 2013

Before and After: Storage Box

I have a very great before and after for you today.



I acquired this 1950s storage box with its original cover. The cover has a pretty stripped, spotted and pink flower pattern and is made of a plastic material. The only problem I had was that the fabric had split where it had become brittle and started to deteriorate. I felt it was a shame to remove the original fabric so started on a mission to save it.

I began by removing the edging and original material from the top. I then lined the under side of the original material with a thin fabric. I adhered them together using a spray mount. I then stapled the material back on, but actually swapped the material round so that the largest of the splits was at the back. The edging was re-attached and the box was finished!



As you can see there is only a subtle difference between the two images. By supporting the material from underneath, the idea was to save the original fabric, and this method can often be hugely successful. Unfortunately, after taking the item to several markets and listening to customers feedback, I decided that entirely recovering the original fabric was the only way forward. Although I had managed to support the cracks the fabric was still very yellowed and fragile.

But do not fear, I found some fantastic vintage material which I couldn't resist, and with my Mum's new upholstery skills the box now looks stunning.




By saving the original binding around the edges, it breaks up the busy pattern and using some extra padding gives the box a great feel. I think this is a real winner and it would seem others agree with me, on its first time out to market, it sold!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment