Wednesday 24 April 2013

Before & After: Scooter


I entrusted the hubby with item shopping the other week. Due to being back in the National Trust open season, I don't get a free Sunday to go car booting anymore, instead I send the hubby with a wad of cash and ask him to shop wisely! And he didn't let me down, one of the items he returned with was this fantastic scooter. Yes, it was a bit rusty and dirty but it has a great shape and colour to it.

The right half of the chrome wheel has been treated with Autosol

I decided to try out a new product on the metal surface called Autosol. Autosol has been around for a while but this is the first time I have used it - we used to use something similar in conservation called Prelim. It is basically an abrasive paste that has certain chemical qualities to it, you wipe the paste on to the surface, I then used the rough side of a sponge to work it in, and then you wipe it off with a clean cloth. It worked a treat at removing the corrosion, and with a little extra cleaning and treatment of the metal the scooter has come up looking fab.





I would love to keep this fella but I sense I would be laughed at if seen scootering down the street - a fully grown women on a kids purple scooter! But I think it will draw some great attention at our next market, particularly when placed in my out-door camping display, with a garden lounger, bowls set, thermos, etc.

I would definitely recommend giving Autosol a try on any of your rusty metal but remember to wear protective gloves, use in a ventilated area and be careful not to work it too roughly into the surface as it may damage surfaces under the corrosion layer.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment