Tuesday 16 April 2013

Review: iZettle chip and pin


Springy Beard has started taking card payments!

It was one of my aims this year to look into card payment systems, with the hope being that it will expand my clientele and increase my sales, and I have successfully achieved my goal! Unfortunately, being a small business I couldn't really afford the step into a merchant account and fully pimped out chip and pin unit. I started researching other alternatives and got given a tip off about iZettle.

Image sourced from iZettle

iZettle, based in Stockholm, is a social payments company. They have developed devices to bring secure payments anytime, anywhere from person to person and business-to-consumer commerce. All you need is to set up an account, free of charge, order a device (which cost £58.80) and download the iZettle app on to your iphone, ipad or smart phone. The device works through your phone connection via blue tooth and accepts visa, American express, diners club international and master card. For every transaction iZettle will take 2.79% of your takings, so for every £100 they would take £2.79 (or for £1 I think they take 3p). You nominate an account for the money to go into and iZettle do this automatically a few days after each transaction, and send you an email notification.

image sourced from iTunes

HOW IT WORKS:

  1. Turn the device on
  2. Open the app on your phone
  3. On your phone make sure the blue bar on your screen says 'enter card/swipe card' (this means the device and phone have connected). The screen on the device should read 'enter card'
  4. On the phone enter the amount of the item, enter a description and even take a quick photo of the item then press charge
  5. Hand over the iZettle device to the customer, it will tell them what to do on the screen and you can monitor it on your phone screen
  6. Once the payment has gone through on your phone screen it will ask if the customer would like a receipt and you can either print one straight off or email it to the customer
  7. And you are done!


THE PROS:

  • The device is small
  • You can hand the device over to the customer without having to hand over your own personal phone
  • It is so easy to use! So easy I had to check the account on-line just to be sure it was all ok!
  • The transaction fees are very reasonable
  • You can insert a chip and pin card and swipe card
  • There is no contract or monthly fees


THE CONS:

  • When we first used it the battery didn't last very long but my tip would be to make sure you let it charge over night before using it - I think I was a bit too eager and used it after only a few hours!
  • It charges through a USB connection on your laptop or computer but it is very difficult to tell if it is charging
  • Obviously it relies on your mobile having a phone signal so if you are in a poor signal zone then you are stuck


I am in love with my iZettle. I like that I only have to pay if I make a sale and the initial £58.80 fee is very reasonable. The device is a really nice size and fits into my money pouch perfectly (yes, when I am at markets I am like a kangaroo with a little pouch). As the initial costs are so low, and you are not tied into any contracts, it is ideal for small businesses. You can even create a store of items in a library on your phone, that way all you need to do is click on the item and hit charge.

image sourced from iTunes

I hope that helps all you small business owners out there.
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment