Monday 15 October 2012

Tutorial: Autumn Wreath

Yesterday morning I got up early to go to work. The sight that met me as I stepped out of the door really caught me by surprise - my car was entirely covered in a thin layer of frost. I then spent the next 10 minutes trying to scrap it off and melt it, which made me late for work. I've realised the hard way that Autumn is here and I need to get decorating. I love decorating the house for the seasons, and whilst searching on etsy I fell in love with this Autumn wreath from Embellished Living.

Find this wreath HERE
As much as I would love to just buy this one, I thought it would be more fun to give making my own a try. Why don't you try making one with me?

YOU WILL NEED:
  • Card
  • Scissors
  • Cello tape
  • Wadding
  • Wool
  • Felt
  • Needle
  • Thread (in co-ordinating colours with the felt)


METHOD:


1. I only had small pieces of card so I started off by cutting them up and cello taping them together to form a circle. If you have a larger sheet of card you can cut a circle in one piece.


2. I then placed a load of wadding on top of the card as evenly as possible. You can always secure some of it down with cello tape if needs be but you will secure it properly with wool.


3. The next stage is to secure the wadding down by winding the wool loosely around. You can choose whatever colour wool you like, I went with a rustic tawny colour as it is perfect for the Autumn.


4. You can then start winding wool round and adding layers. A good tip is to cut off sections of wool and combine them as you wind them round. Keep winding until you can not see any more wadding.


5. I then created some flowers out of felt. I decided to create an autumnal hydrangea bush using this tutorial HERE.
6. I then stitched the flowers on to the wreath, adding a few felt leaves and created a black felt loop at the top for hanging.


And my wreath is complete! I confess, it is not perfectly round, but I like it! The great thing about this idea is that you can combine whatever colours you like depending on the season. I'm sure yours look gorgeous too, but if not, just head over to etsy to find a pre-made one you can love instead.
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment