Wednesday 22 February 2012

Shojoshin-in Temple

I'm so busy in the workshop at the moment that I can't seem to get my mind off of sanding, painting, cleaning, scrubbing.... As a slight rest from the work I thought I should give you another installment of our Japan adventure.
We decided when we started planning our adventure that we wanted to stay in a Buddhist temple. We wanted to get a feel for a more traditional Japanese way of life. We ended up choosing a temple right at the top of Mount Koya which has a large collection of temples and an amazing cemetery. The cemetery contains the remains or monuments for all the most important figures in Japan.
The more modern part of the cemetery
A mausoleum 
The older part of the cemetery
The corridor inside the temple leading to our room
In hindsight, choosing to stay in a temple in the middle of winter at the top of a mountain probably wasn't the best idea. The temple was freezing! We did have a lovely heater in our room but the bathroom was at the end of the cold corridor. The best thing about staying in a temple though is the food. It is all vegan and was the best food I think I have ever eaten. Full of flavour and variety, and there was so much of it, I was stuffed.
Ignoring the cold, I would highly recommend anybody to go and experience staying in a temple. You have to get up early for the morning ceremony but it is huge privilege to watch.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment