Thursday 7 March 2013

Before & After: Metal Frame Chair

This is another example where stripping back the layers slowly can bring up some fantastic surprises.


I bought this simple metal framed chair because I felt it had simple charm. But I confess, I did not like the material on the back and seat. Although its orange, and I love orange, I felt it needed something a bit more colourful.

With the intention of re-covering it, I started by slowly removing the layers of fabric on the seat and back, and what did I discover underneath? A gorgeous original red fabric!




Unfortunately, there was a sticky residue on the surface and some small holes, so it was decided that the chair would need to be recovered.

I removed the seat and the back rest and took off all the old layers and stuffing. I recovered everything with a modern fabric in a lovely retro print. I sanded down the metal frame and repainted it. I put everything back together and we have a gorgeous little chair.




I took it to a market the other weekend and it got a great response. Fingers crossed it will find a lovely new home soon.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment