Monday 4 March 2013

Hobbies Weekly

I have had a very busy weekend - a market on Saturday and work with the National Trust on Sunday. By Sunday evening I had talked so much that my throat was starting to feel a little scratchy. A good lie in this morning did me the world of good and I feel fighting fit to face all the challenges that are being thrown at me. I meant to post this particular blog last week but, as usual, time got away from me, but before I go into details let me give you the background first.

 A few months ago I went to an auction house here in Frome and found a card board box hidden in the back filled with hundreds of copies of an old pamphlet/magazine called Hobbies Weekly. I had never seen the magazine before but it was filled with the most wonderful content about making things for your home and things like house hold maintenance and tips. On the off chance, I left a bid and actually won!

So, what to do with hundreds of magazines? Well, I have decided to digitise them to share with you all! This will become a regular feature here at Springy Beard and I've decided to call it '57 years ago today'. Our first instalment is actually dated from the 29th February 1956 (hence, I should have listed it last week and possibly started this whole thing on a leap year!). Each issue is full of the most amazing projects, handy tips and also some very nostalgic adverts and advice. I hope you enjoy flicking through them as much as I do and please let me know if you manage to complete any of the projects.
P.S. Please remember that this is a vintage magazine so some of the materials used may no longer be suitable or comply with current heath and safety regulations. Please be careful and check out all materials for modern equivalents. We can not be held liable for any injuries incurred, but please don't injure yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment