Monday 26 March 2012

Tutorial: Spring Wreath

Hello! What an absolutely gorgeous day it has been here. I managed to get my washing out on the line to dry in the sun, and even popped on some shorts (my little legs are looking very ill and pale) whilst doing some sanding in the garden. Spring has arrived!
With this change in the season I felt that the outside of the workshop needed a bit of sprucing up. During the winter months I have had a lovely wreath outside the workshop door. It was made by my Mum and reflected the crisp winter months and festive seasons perfectly.



But with the sun showing its face more and more, I decided that a more spring influenced wreath was needed. So I started off by raiding my box of ribbon and felt.

YOU WILL NEED:

  • embroidery ring
  • ribbon
  • felt
  • cotton thread
  • scissors
  • card
  • PVA glue


1. The first thing you will need is an embroidery ring. I used a brown plastic one as I liked the look of the dark background. I wrapped ribbon around the internal and exterior ring. I secured the ends with cello-tape, but if you want your wreath to be more permanent I would recommend sewing the ribbon at the ends or using a strong adhesive.


2. I then got playing with all the ribbon and felt in my box. I cut out little strips of ribbon and little flowers out of felt. I arranged these around the embroidery ring using pins so that I could get an idea what the finished wreath would look like, but I didn't sew anything down yet.


3. The next phase was sewing the sections of ribbon and felt together. I had cut strips of ribbon and bunched them up, but in order to keep them securely held together I put a little stitch in the end. I did the same for the felt flowers where I had cut lots of individual petals and wanted to keep them secure.


3. I then removed the interior ring and arranged my sections of ribbon on the exterior of the ring. I secured these in place using cello tape, but you could stitch or glue these in place if you want them to be extra secure. In order to secure these strips in place properly I then place the exterior embroidery ring back on the interior one, and tightened it at the screw top. This helps keep the ribbon in place and means you can fold the ribbon so that it points in whatever direction you want.


4. I then started sewing my felt flowers in position along the ribbon wrapped around the embroidery ring. I used complementary thread to the colour of the flowers and laid them out first before finally deciding where to fix them.

5. As this wreath is going outside my workshop I decided to give it a little 'Springy Beard' edge. I cut out the letter S and B from card. I then stuck the card to a sheet of felt and cut around the edge, repeating this for both sides of the letters.


6. Before you fully stick the letters make sure you have inserted some ribbon at the top of the letters. Make sure you leave the glue to try fully.


7. I then gently loosed the screw at the top of the embroidery ring and inserted the ribbon attached to the letters in between the rings. Make sure you then tighten the ring again to make sure nothing comes loose.

8. The final touch is a lovely bow and a strip of ribbon to hang your wreath from.



This tutorial is very simple and you can customise your own wreaths with whatever colours you like. It doesn't even have to be flowers around the edge - you could do an animal themed one or just let your imagination run wild.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment